Tuesday, May 19, 2026

The One Weekly Habit That Saves My Sanity (and My Manuscript)

 


If you aren’t looking back, how do you really know where you’re going?

In the indie author world, we talk a lot about the hustle. We talk about word counts, formatting tweaks, keyword research, and launch strategies. We write down our big, beautiful goals every January (or every single month, if you’re like me and prefer the "New Month, New Intentions" mindset).

But there is a massive difference between keeping yourself busy and actually moving your career forward.

For a long time, I found myself running in circles, wondering why I felt so exhausted yet somehow still stuck in the exact same place. That changed when I implemented the absolute heartbeat of my planning system: The Weekly Review.



Without taking a dedicated beat to look back, analyze what worked, and brutally assess what didn't, we are essentially driving with our eyes closed. For me, this past week’s review brought up some major revelations—both as a writer navigating the "messy middle" and as a human navigating, well, life.

Here is what a real-life, unfiltered weekly check-in looks like in my world right now.

🔮 The Creative Win: Trusting the Tools to Fight the "Messy Middle"

If you’ve ever written a book, you know about the "messy middle." It’s that glorious, terrifying territory in Draft 3 where the initial excitement of the story has burned off, the ending feels a million miles away, and you suddenly realize you have painted your characters into a massive, narrative corner.

That happened to me this week with Terra Firma (Book 2 of the Bloodlines of Power series). The plot felt muddy. The pacing felt off.

In the past, this is the exact moment where the self-doubt would swoop in to whisper that I didn't know what I was doing. But during my review, I realized something huge: This time, I didn’t doubt myself. Instead of spiraling, I trusted my system. I allowed myself the time and grace to simply brainstorm. I pulled out a unique tool that I love using when I'm stuck—my tarot cards—to look at the character dynamics from a completely fresh angle. I worked out the problems step-by-step, and guess what? It worked. I broke out of that corner and dove right back into full-on writing mode.

The lesson? When you have a weekly habit of reviewing your process, you start to realize that being "stuck" isn't a failure—it’s just a puzzle waiting for you to solve it.

⛈️ The Reality Check: Tracking the Things I Can't Control

But let’s be entirely real for a second. A good planning system shouldn't just track your business metrics and word counts; it has to have space for your humanity. Because while I was busy fixing my fictional world, the real world was throwing a lot of noise my way.

Lately, I’ve found myself wasting a lot of mental energy stressing over things completely out of my control:

  • The Health Stuff: Lingering issues that I simply have to step back and let the medical experts handle.

  • The Teenager Stuff: Navigating the wild, beautiful, and exhausting waters of parenting a teen boy.

  • The Wild NYC Weather: Seriously, New York. One second I’m freezing and need a heavy jacket, and the next I’m actively sweating through a tank top on the subway platform.

When you don't have a place to acknowledge that stress, it builds up in the background like a computer running too many apps at once. Eventually, you crash.

Because my weekly review specifically includes a space to log my mental and emotional state, I caught the rising stress before it could spiral into full-blown burnout. It served as a gentle reminder to lean hard into my real-world lifelines: journaling, meditation, and therapy.

Your Planner is an Anchor, Not a Taskmaster

Success as an indie author isn't about executing a flawless, robotic schedule. It’s about building a system that allows you to adjust when life gets loud, weather gets weird, and plots get muddy.

By taking 20 minutes at the end of every week to sit down with my coffee and review the data, I give myself the clarity to conquer the next seven days and the confidence to know that I am exactly where I need to be.

Over to you: Do you have a regular planning system? Is a intentional weekly review part of your routine, or do you tend to "plan it and forget it"? Let’s chat in the comments below—I’d love to know how you stay grounded!

No comments:

Post a Comment